Tuesday, May 05, 2009

My Rescue Dog is Smarter than your Honor Student!

I like to consider myself a bit of a "Tour Guide" for pet adoption. I can tell you pretty much any and everything about most of the Animal Rescue Groups in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. I have made it my mission to have as much information as possible, so I can help save lives and educate the locals on the resources available to them.

Ok class pay very close attention...today I will be focusing on "Sarasota County Animal Services" or the POUND as some of you like to call it. We are incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful place for our (strays) or owner give-ups to go. First and foremost SCAS belongs to you.... SARASOTANS, our tax dollars pay for this amazing facility.

What people don't understand is that SCAS must take any and all animals that come through their doors; strays, cruelty cases, owner give-ups(and there have certainly been more than I care to think about as of late). They don't have the LUXURY of turning pets away when they're busting at the seams. Just to clarify, ALL other rescues in Sarasota, DO have that luxury, they can say yes or no whenever they choose. The reason being, they are privately funded. AGAIN, SCAS is a County run shelter. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

Today there are over 37 dogs and 60 cats being housed at SCAS, the shelter is literally overflowing. If anyone is interested in adopting a pet...PLEASE go out to SCAS. I promise this is a beautiful facility, not dismal or depressing. In fact, I encourage you to come out and volunteer your time and walk some dogs or cuddle some cats. I love going out there, it's very serene and you get quite the work out walking the dogs. It's also a great family affair, SCAS is very children friendly, as long is there is someone over 18 to supervise.

So what did we learn today? Get your booty's over to SCAS and ADOPT a shelter pet or volunteer your time, or you don't get to pass my class!!
Check out the sweet angels that need a home: ADOPTABLE DOGS AND CATS

Sarasota County Animal Services
8451 Bee Ridge Rd
Sarasota, FL 34241-6302
(941) 861-9500

Adoption Hours

If you would like to adopt an animal, or volunteer your time....
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday: 12 noon - 2 p.m.

Peace and Pet Love!

No comments: